Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Pappardelle with Chicken and Mushroom Ragu



This is another recipe I found in Gourmet's Gourmet Everyday section. It took a few moments to explain to Mr. TA that this was a ragu.

Mr. TA: "No it's not, ragu is that pasta sauce in a bottle."

Me: "No, this is ragu."

Mr. TA "That's not true, you made that up"

Me: "OK, fine. I'm lying to you. I like to make up words about food I make just to mess with your head."

Mr. TA: "I know. You're sneaky like that."

This is coming from the man that insists I made up the word 'charcuterie.' I have absolutely no idea what to say to that. Umm...no?

So, this stuff turned out pretty bitchin' if I do say so myself. It might be my complete awesomeness as a chef (so not the case) or it may be the 18 year balsamic MiL brought me a few weeks ago. Yeah, I'm going with the balsamic too.



I did make a few adjustments to the recipe, as always. I used shredded chicken from a whole bird instead of thighs, a tin of diced tomatoes in juice instead of whole, egg noodles instead of pappardelle (they def don't sell that at the commissary) and about 5 oz. of frozen, chopped collard greens instead of the arugula. I'm sorry, when I realize the only thing I don't have to make a recipe is the arugala, I'm so not running to the store just for that. Speaking of arugala, have you seen this? And anyone who knows me knows I'm a die hard liberal wildly in love with Barack Obama, so don't leave any nasty comments. I do, however, have a great sense of humor. (I'm humble too!)



Pappardelle with Chicken and Mushroom Ragu

6 ounces cremini mushrooms
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/4 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 small onion, chopped
3/4 teaspoon chopped rosemary
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes in juice
1/2 pound dried pappardelle
5 ounces baby arugula (about 8 cups)

Pulse mushrooms and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. (I pulsed the onion, diced the mushroom - be a rebel)

Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until just golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl.

Reduce heat to medium and cook onion, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes.

Add mushroom mixture, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes.

Add vinegar and cook until evaporated. Add chicken and tomatoes (with juice), then simmer, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon and stirring occasionally, until sauce is just thickened, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook pappardelle in a pasta pot of boiling salted water (2 tablespoons salt for 6 quarts water) until al dente.

Add arugula to sauce and stir until wilted. Stir in drained pasta and cook 1 minute.

4 comments:

test it comm said...

That pasta looks tasty!

cookiecrumb said...

You know what?
NEAT-O!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Ragu, sauce -- whatever you call it, it looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Ragu (the bottled kind) completely ruined what the real sauce is like. I hate red. Sauce.