Sunday, September 7, 2008

Football Food



Because who doesn't love pigs in a blanket, right?

As mush as I wish I could wax poetic on the slaughter of the Buffalo Bills, sadly my beloved Seahawks had a very poor opening day game. I'm just not quite sure what's going on? Except that Plackemeier sucks ass as a kicker. And Taylor couldn't make a complete reception if his life depended on it. But even as much as I don't like our new guys, I've still got a great big heart for my team. Maurice Morris is going to kick some rushing yard ass this year, now that he's out from under the shadow of you-know-who and nothing will ever end my annual love affair with Nate Burleson.

But, enough about football (wow, I can't believe I said that). It's time for some yummy football-watching weight-gaining yelling-at-the-tv tasty treats. I think I'm going to try to post some fun game day snacks every week this season, we'll see how it works out...

This week I introduce to you the ever-present often under-appreciated pigs in a blanket.

On that note, it's time to tell you a funny story....

A long, long time ago (last December, to be exact) in a far away land (erm...Maryland?) there was a beautiful princess (my MiL) about to wed her prince charming (now s-FiL). Now, the beautiful princess had planned an elegant, understated affair for her nuptials. A simple ceremony in a beautiful church followed by a small reception at a private country club. The princess had ordered lovely hors d'œuvre to be passed about by the caterer at the reception - prosciutto wrapped melon, goat cheese stuffed mushrooms, etc. But, prince charming was intent upon having his favorite football snack hors d'œuvre at the reception as well - pigs-in-a-blanket. Needless to say, the princess was totally not ever going to do that in a million, trillion freakin' years unreceptive to the idea. The prince begged unceasingly for his pigs-in-a-blanket, but to no avail. The princess was uninterested in having such foods.

However, as her blissful day drew nigh the princess began to have a change of heart. Perhaps one small tray would be acceptable, just to play a joke on please her prince. He had been pleading for them for months now. Perhaps he should be presented with a tray of pigs-in-a-blanket at the reception, just to prove that princess really did listen to him - at least when she felt like it. It was then that I, humble daughter-in-law baked a box of puff pastry wrapped sausages and practically had to bribe the damn caterer asked nicely for the treats to be brought to the prince. It was quite the laughable affair when the prince realized his beloved snacks had crashed the party.

OK, yeah - I know. I'm a dork. But my MiL and s-FiL are awesome and it was really, really funny. Though you might have had to be there to think it was as hilarious as I do. But, in any event, pigs-in-a-blanket are ridiculously delicious and super easy. Here's how.



Pigs in a Blanket
Makes 18

1 box puff pastry, thawed and each sheet cut into 9 equal squares
1 Turkey Kielbasa sausage loop (the semi-circle ones near the hot dogs at your grocery store Hilshire Farms or whatever the hell they're called makes it)
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degress F

On a cutting board lay out the sausage so that both ends are facing one to your left. Cut off the connecting curvy part so you have two straight sausages and one bent one. Slice each straight piece into quarters lengthwise and then cut in half. Slice the curvy one into quarters. You should now have 18 equal-ish size pieces of sausage. Brush the beaten egg onto two opposite edges of the puff pastry squares. Wrap the sausage in the pastry, using the egg to help seal the edges. Repeat 17 more times. Place on parchment paper or a SilPat. Brush with the remaining egg. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and puff pastry is cooked through. Serve with spicy mustard.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey another SeaHawks fan, woohoo! Yeah, they played so terribly today :(. My bf was pretty dissapointed, and on their first game! Sigh! Hope the next one is better. The piggys in a blanket look YUM. :D

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I don't watch football, but I'll pretend I do just so I can have these little piggies. ;) They're my fave!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Can I still eat these if I don't watch football?

Sweet Bird said...

athy - W00t! I love the Seahawks more than...well, more than a lot of things. My husband patiently suffers through me season-ling love affair with Burleson. I can't help it, the man can make a touchdown while doing a backflip and run 95 yards for another TD? Hellooooo nurse.

js - You're lucky your awesomeness is so astounding, I'll overlook the not digging football thing.

Kristin - Oh sure, your awesomeness is equally on par with js so I'll cut you some slack on the football thing.