Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Oh my god. This was so incredibly delicious I could barely stand it. Nice fresh portobello caps, piquant marinara sauce, and ooey-gooey whole milk mozzarella. What more could a girl ask for?
2 Portobello Mushrooms
8-10 oz. Marinara sauce
4 oz. Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese, shredded or cubed
2 tablespoons Breadcrumbs
Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Break stem off of mushrooms, discard (or save for making stock). Wipe caps with a damp towel.
3. Rub about a teaspoon of olive oil into each cap, season with salt and pepper.
4. Drizzle some olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook mushroom caps for about 5 minutes each side, until juices start to flow.
5. In an 8 x 8 baking dish spread 2 oz marinara in two circles, one for each cap. Place cap on sauce.
6. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs in each cap. Layer 1 oz. mozzarella in each cap, cover in marinara, place remainder of mozzarella over marinara sauce.
7. Bake for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until mozzarella is melted and golden brown in spots.
8. Remove from oven, garnish with torn basil.