Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Cream of Onion Soup



This Cream of Onion soup was pretty gosh darn delicious, and with a little tweaking I think it could be a regular addition in the SB household. This was my dinner while Husband ate the Broccoli, Anchovy, and Pasta soup. The addition of the white vermouth really made the soup, in my opinion. It was perfectly balanced. Buttery onions, creamy broth, pleasant tang of vermouth. Divine.

The recipe states to not let the second batch of onions caramelize. I let them half caramelize, namely because I wasn't paying attention, and I disagree. I think the second batch should definitely be caramelized. It adds more flavor. I also garnished with some fresh snipped chives from my herb garden and allowed a garlic-herb crouton to get all mushy in the bowl. Soooo tasty. (My notes are in parentheses)

Cream of Onion Soup

Serves 4

1/2 cup butter
2 1/4 lbs yellow onions, sliced
1 bay leaf
7 T white vermouth
4 cups chicken stock
2/3 cup cream
salt and pepper
chives and croutons to garnish

1. Set aside 7 oz (1 1/2 cups) of sliced onion. In a large pan melt 6 T of the butter and add the remainder of the onions with the bay leaf. Stir to coat in butter, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions should be very soft, but not browned ( I say brown 'em a little bit!).

2. Add the vermouth, increase the heat and boil until nearly all liquid has evaporated. Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a separate pan and cook the 7 oz of onions. (Caramelize!) Add the stock to the main pot and bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

3. Using an immersion blender/food processor/blender puree the onions until smooth. Add the cream, heat through. Add the separate onions, season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot garnished with fresh chives and croutons.

No comments: