Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Broccoli, Anchovy and Pasta Soup




This is one of Husband's favorite dishes ever. He always gets all excited whenever I'm willing to make it. I say willing because I hate anchovies. A lot. They totally gross me out. MiL made this for a soup dinner she threw for her employees last winter, Husband and I happened to be visiting right after and he instantly fell in love with this soup. MiL is a very, very good cook. Thankfully she's also very wonderful in other ways or I'd be green with jealous envy.

This soup really has just a hint of anchovy, it's not overwhelming. Husband insists it's really quite tasty. I'll let you decide.

Broccoli, Anchovy, and Pasta Soup

2 T olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 red chili, seeded and minced
3-4 anchovy fillets, drained
8 oz (1 cup) passata (U.S. tomato sauce)
3 T white wine
5 cups vegetable/chicken stock
2 cups broccoli florets
1 3/4 cup orecchiette pasta (I used shells this time, orecchiette works and looks better)
salt and pepper

1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add onion, garlic, chili, and anchovies and cook over low heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring constantly.

2. Add the white wine and passata, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and cook, covered, over low heat for 12-15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

3. Pour in stock. Bring to a rolling boil. Add broccoli florets and pasta, cook until pasta is tender, about 7-8 minutes.

4. Garnish with Pecorino cheese if desired.